BTAA-GIN Guiding Principles¶
- To support the geospatial research community by making resources easier to find and to foster connections among geospatial library professionals through our collaboration.
- Our program aims to support the geospatial research community by building and maintaining a collective open-source spatial data infrastructure featuring metadata optimized for spatial discovery platforms.
- We foster connections among geospatial library professionals, the Big Ten Academic Alliance, and the BIG Collection by sharing expertise and utilizing collective resources while cultivating a culture of deep collaboration and interdependence.
Collaboration & Connection¶
- Provide a centralized resource discovery platform to connect data creators, providers, and consumers.
- Provide a collaborative social infrastructure for librarians and geospatial specialists.
- Create opportunities for engaging in joint research and sharing scholarly outputs.
Diversity, Equity, & Accessibility¶
- Lower barriers to accessing geospatial data across a wide range of communities.
- Create educational resources fostering geospatial literacy.
- Strive to identify resources that represent diversity in topics, geographic regions, time periods, communities, and languages.
Stewardship & Sustainability¶
- Invest in open-source technology and communities.
- Share metadata best practices and schema development.
- Champion initiatives to preserve and archive digital geospatial assets.
To preserve and share at-risk digital geospatial assets by building a complete spatial data infrastructure.